Monday, July 12, 2010

A Patriotic Outing

This past weekend was thankfully pretty quiet. My parents kept the kids ALL DAY on Saturday so Brian and I got tons of stuff done... we had a nice grown up lunch, we went shopping, we took a nap. We had tons of things we could have done that would have been productive, and I'd like to say we did at least one of those things. We didn't. It was awesome!

On Sunday, I decided that it was finally time to take Papaw over to the War Memorial by his house. My cousins and I got him a brick for Christmas this year. The memorial was officially opened on Memorial weekend, but we hadn't been by there yet. I have to say that it was really fun. We went and picked Papaw up. He wasn't expecting us, but he jumped out of his chair and off we went. The people who put the memorial together were fairly wise about it. There are no steps or obstacles to keep veterans away. They add new bricks every year on Memorial Day. It is very pretty even from a distance, and up close it is a great place to reflect. Papaw had a great time. The kids didn't understand, but had a great time anyway. I really enjoyed looking over all the bricks. I really like this way of honoring people who have served in the military (local and tangible).

Then last night we went swimming. My kids are officially fish! We got some fun under water shots! I'm working on not completely freaking out when the kids take a dive and are under water for longer than 5 seconds. It really goes against everything in me to let them play under water, but I'm so relieved to know they can handle themselves at least a little near water.




No comments:

Post a Comment