Friday, September 17, 2010

Mom, Where do babies come from?

There is a back story necessary in this tale. Today I got a call from Eli's teacher. It seems he was in an altercation at school. The teacher told us that he pushed a boy, and the boy then punched Eli in the stomach. As far as Eli tells the story, Chase pinched him at center time and then hit him later in the day. He conveniently can't remember doing anything to provoke either incident.

While driving around tonight, this was my conversation with Eli:

Eli: Mommy, did you and daddy pick me out?
Mommy: Uh, not exactly honey. You always belonged to mommy and daddy.

Eli: How did you and daddy get me?
Mommy: Um... well... uh... Well you know Mrs. Britney is growing a baby in her tummy... well you grew in my tummy.

Eli: Did you split me out?
Mommy: (pause)... um... No, you got too big and the doctor took you out.

Eli: Did Jaxon grow in your tummy too?
Mommy: Yes, and he got too big and the doctor took him out too.

Eli: Did I play with Jaxon in your tummy?
Mommy: No, you weren't in my tummy at the same time.

Eli: Did I see your food?
Mommy: No, Eli it is too dark and you were inside... something.

Eli: Did I play with you?
Mommy: Yes, you kicked me sometimes.

Eli: I'm sorry mommy. Did it hurt like when Chase hit me?
Mommy: No, Eli you were a little baby. You didn't hurt me.

Eli: Mom, I'm sorry I got in trouble and the teacher called you.
Mommy: Me too.

Jaxon at the very end: Mommy I don't want to go in your tummy!

So, that my friends is how the 4 year old mind works!

2 comments: