Thursday, May 16, 2013

Updates, Disney, and Krissy's Wedding!



I suck at this.  I get way too distracted with life!  Last night the boys wanted me to tell them funny stories from when they were really little and I realized just how bad I’ve been at this!

Here is a quick update:

Eli – he is still crazy smart.  His teacher literally cannot tell me what reading level he is on because it is higher than they will allow her to test.  His math and spelling skills are practically better than mine.  The first grade spelling words for this week are (apple, table, purple, circle, turtle, title, happen, begin, certain and the challenge words are comfortable, possible, fantastic, stubborn, and cancel).  Eli is doing really well in baseball and basketball.  He is also still the tallest kid around (maybe 54 inches or so) and weighs in at 100 pounds! 

Jaxon – This kid is our wild child.  Jax doesn’t ever stay still… ever!  He loves playing with everything and everyone.  His energy level is ridiculous.  He is going through a lovely phase of meltdowns.  We hope this phase ends soon.  Like his big brother, he doing very well in school.  I’ll find out exactly how well he is doing next week, but his reading and math are both above grade level.  Brian and I have gotten a kick out of Jaxon this year because he has had his first brush with young love.  Clara is a girl in his class.  She is happy to play with the boys (Skylanders, Zombies, or whatever).  She really is a great choice for his first girlfriend.  They want to get married, but know they have to wait until they are grown up.  Jaxon thinks he wants to have a house next door to Eli’s house.  Eli is going to be a chemist and Jaxon will be a police officer (or ninja) and a chef so he can make food for everyone.  They would like to keep AJ and Brian and I close by, but we weren’t specifically placed in the neighborhood plan J 

Alysa – AJ is our ragamuffin.  She hates having her hair pulled back so it is usually in her face until she wipes it away with her usually messy/sticky hands.  She loves her brothers every bit as much as they love her.  I am beyond thankful for the bond they have.  I tell the kids when they are fighting that they are the best gift I ever gave them.  They will always have a best friend and someone to lean on.  I think even at a young age they understand.  It doesn’t keep them from fighting, but it helps.  Alysa is really expressive. She can get her point across to anyone.  She can say some small sentences, she can eat with a fork and spoon, she is starting to jump, and is ready to do anything her brothers do.  At her 18 month appointment she was 33 inches (85th percentile) and 25 lbs (70th percentile).  She is ridiculously adorable, but has some diva tendencies. 





The kids LOVE music!  All 3 of them were singing at the top of their lungs in the car yesterday.  The boys love Crazy Frog, I’ll Make a Man Out of You, and Real in Rio.  Alysa is a big fan of Old MacDonald (E-I-O Mommy!) and Wheels on the Bus.  I’ve worked briefly with the boys on the piano.  I hope to do more of that this summer. 

We are really proud of their eating habits.  Like any kids they love junk food, but they know when we go out and eat, they must order healthy food.  I can’t tell you how many times friends, family, and restaurant employees have commented on the boys ordering broccoli or AJ stealing green beans off someone’s plate.

A couple of weeks ago we had our first family road trip (longer than a quick drive to Houston).  We drove to Savannah, Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, and back again.  The kids were amazing.  The boys had maps of the United States.  They were able to see where we were and where we were going.  The counted the states we drove through.  We debated for a long time about flying or driving, but I really think the kids learned a lot.  Jaxon LOVED sidewalk art in Savannah!  We stopped in just in time to see the Annual Sidewalk Art Festival.  Eli really liked the “Old Man’s Beard” Moss on the trees.   


On our way to Orlando, we stopped off at Daytona Beach.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous.  The boys loved the ocean and playing in the sand.  AJ wasn’t a big fan of the cold water or the sticky sand. 

We all had a stomach bug attack us in Orlando and so we were only able to spend one day at Disney.  On one of our off days in Orlando we went out to eat.  The boys went outside the restaurant to play.  They started chasing lizards and had a run in with this cactus.  It has teeny tiny thorns.  I spent at least 30 minutes digging them out of the boys hands.

Brian will tell you now that he had a great time at Disney and he would like to go back when AJ is a bit older.  I wish I would have taken a video of him bellyaching!  His main concern was AJ was a bit young to participate in much of the stuff we were doing.  She wasn’t a happy camper for a lot of the day.  The best part of the visit to Disney for Brian and I was Space Mountain.  Brian took Jaxon first and I took Eli right after (thank you Fast Pass system).  The boys were so excited to go on the ride, but ended up being scared out of their minds.  Brian and I had a couple of chuckles at their expense.  The boys really loved Peter Pan’s flight and Splash Mountain.  After I took Jaxon on Splash Mountain, he told me his legs were shaking.  I asked if he was scared and he told me his legs were scared J  I got that on video! 

After Orlando, we traveled to Miami for Aunt Krissy’s second wedding.  Jax still asks why some people get married twice (extra confusing because Kristin married the same man at both weddings).  The wedding was beautiful!  The plan was for Eli to carry a pillow down the aisle and for Jaxon to hold AJ’s hand and get her up the aisle.  I knew the chances of Jax and AJ making it up the aisle were about 1%.  Sure enough, AJ made it maybe 4 steps up the boardwalk before falling down and crying.  I tried to get Jax to make it to the front, but he felt he was supposed to stay with his sister.  1 out of 3 made it…  People did get quite a kick out of all the kids though.  The kids had a great time in the kid’s area for the rest of the night.  We had them come eat with the adults and they couldn’t wait to get back to the fun kid’s room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment